Chef Eric Gitenstein’s MF Tasty Cream of Mushroom Soup
Chef Eric Gitenstein is a doll! He kind of reminds me of a young Richard Dreyfuss (my secret crush) AND he can cook! Geez, if this guy could hunt for sharks AND owned a boat...well, never mind. Seriously, Eric is a great guy, great chef and has a great thing going with his MF Tasty underground restaurant movement. I'll be first in line for his next party - shark fin soup, perhaps?
Cream of 3 Mushroom Soup
- 2 cups crimini mushrooms, quartered
- 2 cups maitake mushrooms, base removed
- 2 cups enoki mushrooms, base removed
*If you cannot find these particular mushrooms, substitute with whatever you can find, same amounts apply
- 1/4 cup minced yellow onion
- 1/4 cup minced garlic
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1/4 teaspoon chopped thyme, fresh
- 1/4 teaspoon salt & black pepper
- Chopped parsley (for garnish)
- In a sauce pot, over medium high heat, melt the butter and sauté the mushrooms, onions and garlic. Add the salt, pepper, and thyme. Allow the mushrooms to slightly caramelize and deglaze the pot with white wine. Stir occasionally and allow the wine to reduce almost completely. Pour in the cream, stir and simmer until cream has slightly reduced and mushrooms are cooked completely.
- Serve in your favorite soup bowl and garnish with chopped parsley.